Sunday, November 22, 2009

Sentence order

Canonical order of English sentences

English sentences usually follow this structure:

SUBJECT + VERB + OBJECT

For example:
I(subj) like(v) bicycles(obj)

I(subj) like(v) running(obj)

The order of negative sentences
Negative sentences have a special order because we include the auxiliary (don't, aren't, hasn't, etc.) or the modal verb in the negative form (can't, needn't, mustn't, etc.) between the subject and the main verb.

For example:
I like bicycles (affirmative)
I DON´T like bicycles (negative) (or do not)
We are going to Paris (affirmative)
We AREN'T going to Paris (negative) (or are not)
He has learned to drive (affirmative)
He HASN'T learned to drive (negative) (or has not)


The order of questions
Questions also change the canonical order of sentences, but only when they are "direct questions".

For example:
What ARE you doing?
Are you Englihs?

"Indirect questions" do not change the canonical order of sentences. Indirect questions are used when we quote someone else's questions, or when we refer to questions indirectly (I want to know what you are doing is an indirect way to ask the question "What are you doing?" Indirect questions are sometimes used because they sound "more polite").

For example:
He wants to know what you are doing
He wants to know if you are English (indirect questions of yes/no type use the "if" as an introduction)


The position of adverbs
The canonical order of sentences gets complicated when we have adverbs. Adverbs can be of different types: frequency, manner, place and time are the most frequent. Let's have a look at them one by one.

1. Verb and object
The connection between verb and object can't be broken by an adverb

For example:
She speaks English well
I very much like English

Adverbs of manner usually go after the object: badly, well, wonderfully, etc.

2. Frequency adverbs
Frequency adverbs take 3 positions:

a) After "to be": I am ALWAYS happy

b) Before the "Simple Present": I ALWAYS work on Sundays

c) Between the auxiliary (or the modal) and the rest of the verb:
I have ALWAYS worked on Sundays. I don´t ALWAYS eat my dinner. I have ALWAYS been studying English late at night.
You must ALWAYS go to bed early

3. Place and Time adverbs
The general order of English is:

SUBJECT + VERB + (OBJECT) + PLACE + TIME

I eat lasagna at Luigi's on Sundays I run in the park in the evening

SUBJECT + VERB + DIRECT OBJECT + INDIRECT OBJECT + PLACE + TIME

I gave the book to John in the library yesterday

Adverbs of time can go at the end of the sentence or at the beginning of the sentence.

On Sundays I eat lasagna at Luigi's In the evening I run in the park

4. Adverbs of manner
Adverbs of manner can go in mid-position (before or after the verb) or end-position.

For example:
I angrily walked out of the room I walked angrily out of the room I walked out of the room angrily
5. Adverbs of "emphasis"
Adverbs of emphasis (certainly, really, definitely, etc.) can be placed right after the subject.

For example:
I really like it
We will certainly do it
He doesn´t probably know it

Sometimes, by placing the adverb of emphasis right after the subject, we can establish a difference in meaning:

I really don´t like her (I dislike her)
I don´t really like her (I don´t really like her, it is indifferent to me)

PRACTICE

http://www.englisch-hilfen.de/en/complex_tests/word_order1/task.php
http://www.ego4u.com/en/cram-up/grammar/word-order
http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/cgi-shl/quiz.pl/adverbs_quiz.htm
http://www.juntadeandalucia.es/averroes/~cepco3/patatas/eguisado/AdverbsWordOrder2.htm



READ MORE HERE:
http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/adverbs.htm



No comments:

Post a Comment