Sunday, February 7, 2010

GRAMMAR NO. 2: "had better" and "would rather"

Had better, 'd better

The expression "'d better + verb" means: It is more convenient if you do something. For example:

- You'd better take your umbrella with you today. (Because I can see it is pretty cloudy and it might rain later).

'd better comes from "had better".

Would rather, 'd rather

Another expression in English is "would rather", which means "prefer". For example:
- Shall we go out for dinner tonight? / I'd rather eat at home, if you don't mind.
- Shall I write to Harry to tell him the news? / I'd rather not do it.

"Would rather" is followed by a simple past when we use a complex clause, look at the example:
- Shall we go out for dinner tonight? /I'd rather we ate at home, if you don't mind.
- Shall I write to Harry to tell him the news? / I'd rather you didn't do it.

PRACTICE

No comments:

Post a Comment